CC & city of Boulder to Jointly Coordinate Walk & Bike Month 2008!
Get ready for the best Walk & Bike Month ever! For 2008, the city of Boulder has contracted Community Cycles to be the event producer for Walk & Bike Month. And that's right- Walk & Bike Week has been expanded to Walk & Bike Month, allowing us to host more events, include more community groups and celebrations, increase visibility and participation of walk & biking - and make Walk & Bike Month the best event ever!
This effort will be lead by Sue Prant, who chairs the CC Advocacy Committee and who has coordinated Walk & Bike Week for the past two years. In that time, participation has grown by over 25% and many new events and breakfast stations have been added.
For this year's Walk & Bike Month, in addition to the popular events of the past, like Bike to Work Day, the Commuter Challenge, the bike/bus/car race, Walk & Bike BINGO, the Pedaling to the Groove concert at the band shell, and the Walk & Bike Month concert at Boulder Theater, here are just some of the events we hope to be working on:
- A large community bike ride on closed roads. We are looking into different routes, but whatever ride we are able to do, it will include a substantial road closure so families, racers, advanced and beginning cyclists can enjoying riding some of Boulder premier routes car –free.
- Parking squats all over town. We will get businesses to adopt a parking space and then for one day there is grass, flowers, trees or whatever in the parking spot. The spot is a as a park for a day and it gets people thinking about the amount of land we dedicate to parking and the other things we could do with that land besides store cars. A game will be incorporated. Ride your bike to all the parking squats, get your card stamped and win a prize!
- Community events- play streets, breakfasts, etc - we will work with neighborhood groups, church groups, etc and help them put on small, community based event during bike month. Sample events include a breakfast for people who bike, a neighborhood walk or bike, closing down a neighborhood street to traffic for a day to have a play street where police bring out safety town and teach kids to bike, a bike repair clinic.
- Commuter training rides- Rides on the weekends during June for new cyclists. We will show them where to ride, how to dress, how to carry stuff. The idea is to get new people to feel comfortable on a bike so they can participate in Bike to Work Day.
- Boulder Mountain Bike Alliance sponsored events that will show where you can get to mountain biking without using a car either by riding trails from town and/or taking the bus to Nederland.
Previous Walk & Bike Weeks have been phenomenal successes. Thanks to the city of Boulder and the energy from committed Community Cycles volunteers, we expect Walk & Bike Month to be a major triumph. To volunteer or become a sponsor, please contact Sue Prant at firstname.lastname@example.org .